Halden Lab | Research
The following are a sampling of the project’s on-going in the Halden lab.
Bioremediation of Environmental Contaminants
We are conducting research and also are supporting full-scale field deployments of bioremediation strategies for the removal of toxic pollutants from impacted soil and groundwater environments. This work includes the development of novel diagnostic devices for groundwater monitoring and remedial design.
- Miller, T. R., M. P. Franklin, and R. U. Halden. 2007. Bacterial Community Analysis of Shallow Groundwater Undergoing Sequential Anaerobic and Aerobic Chloroethene Biotransformation. FEMS Microbiol. Ecol. 60(2):299-311.
- Halden, R. U. 2004. Method and apparatus for environmental monitoring and bioprospecting. PCT International Patent Application No. WO 2004/081530.
Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products (PPCPs) in the Environment
We are determining the fate of PPCPs in the environment, beginning with a characterization of sources such as wastewater treatment plants and ending with the characterization of the human body burden and biomarkers of exposure.
- Chalew, T. and R. U. Halden. 2009. Environmental Exposure of Aquatic and Terrestrial Biota to Triclosan and Triclocarban. J. Am. Water Res. Assoc. 45(1):4-13.
- Heidler, J. and R. U. Halden. 2008. Meta-analysis of Mass Balances for Monitoring Chemical Fate during Wastewater Treatment. Environ. Sci. Technol. Published July 22 online ahead of print. HTML or PDF.
We are developing and applying proteomics techniques for the detection and characterization of microorganisms providing ecological services or posing public health threats. Instrumentation utilized includes liquid chromatography coupled to robotic spotters for matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization (LC-MALDI) analysis, and electro spray ionization (ESI) tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS). Our laboratory features triple quadrupole and time-of-flight (TOF/TOF) mass analyzers.
- Colquhoun, D. R., Schwab, K. J., Cole, R. N., and R. U. Halden. 2006. Detection of Norovirus Capsid Protein in Authentic Standards and in Stool Extract by Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization and Nanospray Mass Spectrometry. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 72(4):2749-2755.
- Halden, R. U., D. R. Colquhoun, and E. S. Wisniewski. 2005. Identification and Phenotypic Characterization of Sphingomonas wittichii Strain RW1 by Peptide Mass Fingerprinting using Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization - Time of Flight Mass Spectrometry. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 71(5):2442-2451.
Health Effects of Human Exposure to Toxic Pollutants
We are studying the extent of human exposure to toxic pollutants and their associated health effects by examining biological specimens from adults and children.
- Colquhoun, D. R., L. R. Goldman, R. N. Cole, M. Gucek, M. Mansharamani, F. R. Witter, B. J. Apelberg, and R. U. Halden. 2009. Global Screening of Human Cord Blood Proteomes for Biomarkers of Toxic Exposure and Effect. Environ. Health Perspect. (In Press). http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/docs/2008/11816/abstract.html
- Apelberg, B. J., F. R. Witter, J. B. Herbstman, A. M. Calafat, R. U. Halden, L. L. Needham, and L. R. Goldman. 2007. Cord Serum Concentrations of Perfluorooctane Sulfonate (PFOS) and Perfluorooctanoate (PFOA) in Relation to Weight and Size at Birth. Environ. Health Perspect. 115(11):1670-1676.
Renewable Energy from Biological Systems
We are developing diagnostic assays for monitoring photosynthetic biomass production and biomass conversion to hydrocarbons and electricity.
- Rittmann, B. E., R. Krajmalnik-Brown, and R. U. Halden. 2008. Pre-genomic, Genomic and Post-genomic Study of Microbial Communities Involved in Bioenergy. Nature Microbiology Review 6(8):604-612.